Do You Leave Gaps Between Composite Decking Boards?
One of the best-selling points of composite decking is that it is low-maintenance. However, it doesn’t mean that composite decking doesn’t need maintenance. Proper care for your decking will go a long way to keeping it at its best quality and extending its already long life span. But with many tools and supplies for cleaning, many homeowners are wondering what to use. For instance, can you use a Magic Eraser on composite decking boards?
What is Magic Eraser?
Magic Eraser is one of the most recent innovations in home cleaning. It is a foam-like product of a well-known brand called Mr Clean, but other companies also produce and sell them. But how does it work? And is it an effective cleaner?
Magic Eraser is a product made out of melamine foam. As composed of microscopic pores, melamine foam acts as an effective abrasive, trapping dirt and debris in it. Despite being soft, the actual material is hard. Experts compare it with extremely fine sandpaper when it comes to cleaning.
Melamine foam is effective in removing various markings that may be irremovable by other methods of cleaning. For instance, it can wipe off ink, wax, and grease on surfaces such as walls and floors. When using it, it may leave some residue similar to a pencil eraser.
But the question is, is it safe to use Magic Eraser on composite decking? Will it ruin your decking or not?
Is it Safe to Use on Composite Deckings?
There are many questions regarding the safety of using melamine foam sponges on composite decking. Since it can remove any dirt, many wonder whether it’s a good idea to use it on decking.
Since melamine foam works as an abrasive cleaner, it can remove grain textures from both wood and composites when used excessively. However, high-quality boards may be tough enough to handle their abrasive nature. For instance, well-known companies, such as Trex and TimberTech, list melamine foam sponges as recommended cleaning tools. They advise the use of these sponges when dealing with deep-seated dirt.
If you are still unsure whether you could use it, you will want to contact your manufacturers. Whether it’s safe to use a Magic Eraser or melamine foam sponges or not depends on the manufacturers of the boards you are using. Alternatively, you can test it yourself. Try using it on a hidden part of your decking or some spare composite decking boards. You can immediately tell whether it’s rough enough to damage the decking or not.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Melamine Sponge
If you are a homeowner looking for ways to clean your composite decking, you may have considered a Magic Eraser or melamine foams. While it does have many advantages, it also has a few disadvantages. Before deciding to use it on your composite decking, here are a few things you should consider.
- Melamine sponges are effective in removing deep-seated dirt or stains, more so than traditional brushes and scrubs. With its microscopic pores, it traps and wipes off debris and dirt from any surface. And since it’s flexible, it can reach even the deepest and hard-to-reach parts.
- Melamine foams are reusable. However, you will want to choose foams that are 100% melamine. Some products only have a thin layer of melamine, which are not as durable and reusable.
- They are 100% safe to use. Despite the myth surrounding melamine sponges when they first appeared on the market, many experts have since proved that they don’t contain any toxic or harmful materials.
- Aside from cleaning surfaces, you can also use Magic Erasers and melamine foams for various purposes. You can remove stains from clothes, polish and remove marks from leather, and wipe clean fibreglass, among other things.
- Prolonged use of melamine sponges can cause skin damage, especially in kids. If you want the kids to clean using it, ensure supervision, use protective gloves, and limit its use.
- Because of their abrasiveness, melamine sponges can damage delicate surfaces. It can cause permanent damage to wood by removing the finish.
- Melamine foam is not biodegradable and does not come cheap. While melamine foams are not too expensive, the cost of buying them will add up over time. Many recommend cutting it into pieces to conserve it.
Should You Use it on Your Composite Decking?
Magic Eraser or melamine foam can be a useful cleaning tool for your composite decking. With it, you can remove dirt, scuff marks and other markings on your decking. But if you are unsure whether you should use it, you can contact your manufacturer for advice. A good idea is to test it for yourself.