It usually contains the same woods used in timber; it is actually a mixture of recycled plastic wood fibres with bonding agents. Because of that, it was also called a “manufactured board” or “man-made wood”. Some manufacturers use veneers outside to make it even more attractive. Composite decking can also be made from wood waste. It is one of the options to our growing demand for wood and other wood products. It is a great alternative which helps to reduce massive deforestation. Various suppliers might have different materials and products used in their composite decking, but generally, this is the most common thing that you need to know about the features of composite decking. Using recycled wood in the production of composite decking makes it highly sustainable, therefore encouraging recycling and re-use.
Fast facts about Composite Wood
- It was the year between 2010 to 2015 when the demand for composite decking gained more popularity.
- After 2015 the market demand for composite decking continues to rise.
- The most commonly used recycled plastic materials in composite decking are polyethene, polypropylene and polyvinyl chloride.
- Composite decking can last up to 30 years compared to the traditional wood that usually lasts for only 5 to 10 years.
- Composite decking boards or planks are usually longer than timber since it is resistant to warping. It can reach up to 20 feet or longer.
- When exposed to sunlight, composite decking can be hot but will not melt. However, this is not a good practice as it is usually encouraging composite decking users to place it in shaded areas.
- About three thousand recycled plastic cartons can be used just for ten square feet of composite decking. Imagine how much plastic can be recycled just by using composite decking, which helps to save the environment.
- Spaces between the boards of composite decking are relatively larger compared to the spaces in between traditional wooden boards.
Where can you use Wood Plastic Composite (WPC)?
It is mostly used for the following:
- Floor decking
- Railings, etc.
Why use composite decking?
- It is cheaper than some exotic hardwoods, lasts longer with improved product quality offering better value for your money.
- It is resistant to weather changes as well as with stains, especially with proper care, treatment, and maintenance.
- It is environmentally friendly. You can make composite woods even out of smaller trees or even from defective woods. It also reduces the plastics in landfills since it is one of the materials used to produce composite wood.
- Maintaining composite wood is relatively low-maintenance compared to other kinds of wood. You don’t actually need a regular sanding or stain treatment. As long as you have warm water and soap and you give it a scrub immediately then you can have fewer costs in maintaining your composite wood products. In the long run, you did not need to change your composite wood products from time to time because it lasts long.
- It is rot-resistant compared to solid woods. Not just with rots but also with decay. That makes it lasts longer compared to other types of wood.
- It has a wide range of designs and colours. You have options and choices, and you will not need paint at all.
- It is easier to fix it, you just need an adhesive. Plus, it is easier to work with composite wood because of its malleability properties, and you can design it according to your taste.
- It can be produced in large sizes, and you do not need to put together the smaller pieces available in other woods.
- Because it is human-made, then it is easier to design composite wood for different purposes.
- It is not prone to fading and warping compared to other types of wood.
- It is child-friendly. Most of the composite woods were designed to be slip-resistant, making it the best choice for families.
- It is not just timber feels but also a wood-like appearance with elegant patterns to choose from. Especially now that composite wood suppliers have been improving their designs and making it look even more natural.
Composite wood has been gaining its popularity due to a number of different reasons. Given all the reasons above, who would not use composite wood for their homes right. It makes them one of the best options to reduce the need for solid wood and hardwood. With regards to price, appearance, and quality composite wood has shown its importance to the market. Imagine you have the visually appealing and at the same time low costs products at home. You will not worry anymore because you are assured that using composite wood can give you satisfaction without hurting your pocket. Do you want to try composite wood now?